Right from beginning of my virtual rice trip I knew that I would definitely also stop in Spain to enjoy a paella. For this, I even did a little study on the German Wikipedia. This way I learned that, strictly speaking, the paella is the national dish of the region of Valencia and that the Spanish cuisine is mostly regional orientated. However, paella has a very high reputation throughout Spain.
The classic Valencian paella consists, besides of rice, mainly of chicken, pork ribs and rabbits. The meat is always chopped into bite-sized pieces with bones. And to this vegetables are added, such as tomatoes, pepper and green beans. Variations that have evolved from this original form of paella are, among others, the seafood paella, the mixed paella and the vegetable paella.
And a paella de verdura I present you today. The recipe comes from the German magazine Slowly veggie!, edition 2/2014. Those of you who do not know the Slowly veggie! yet, should definitely check it out. Actually, most of the recipes I tried from magazines so far were from the Slowly Veggie! and the German köstlich vegetarisch and the recipes worked very well.
For the paella I have used standard paella rice. But you can also use long-grain rice. Just risotto rice is not so suitable for a paella, as it becomes very soft and sticky during cooking because of its high starch content. And if you’re wondering, that my “pan” in the photos looks somewhat atypical, it is simply because I have used my wok because I did not have any ovenproof pan which was large enough.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 small aubergine diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 to matoes
- 200 ml olive oil
- 400 g paella rice
- 1 l vegetable stock
- salt | pepper
- 0,1 g saffron threads
- Carve crosswise the tomatoes, blanch in salted water, peel and dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a ovenproof pan. Add the onions, garlic, and the vegetables and sauté briefly. Add the rice and sauté but avoid that it gets brown. Preheat the oven to 200° C convection.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and saffron. Place the pan in the oven and let the paella cook for about 15-20 minutes. Then serve.