Sometimes the obvious is so close that I need some external inspiration to get to it. Even when cooking this sometimes happens to me. The best example is the vegetarian moussaka, which I am presenting today. Actually, the recipe in which I replaced the minced meat, that is often used for moussaka, by black lentils, is the result of six wooden cubes which are called VEGGIE CUBES*. And that, although there are already several recipes on the blog, in which I used lentils instead of minced meat like the spaghetti with black lentils.
Anyway, this time I just needed the VEGGIE CUBES as my source of inspiration. By tossing them I got the ingredients for my planned dish. And this is also the purpose of this very nice gimmick that consists of a jar with six wooden cubes from beechwood and which is made in Germany. Each cube is assigned to a particular category, ranging from vegan proteins to vegetarian proteins up to the categories of vegetables, seasonings, carbohydrates and preparation. Actually you do not necessarily need to use all six dices. I just did it this time. And by this I got the ingredients potatoes, lentils, feta, aubergine, salsa and the preparing method escallop. From this moment the way to the vegetarian moussaka was a pretty short one so that you can find now the recipe here.
- Wash the lentils and cook them for 30 minutes in 1 liter of water. Then drain the water.
- Wash the potatoes and cook them for 20-25 minutes in salted water. Then drain, leave to cool and peel the potatoes before cutting them into ~5 mm thick slices. Layer the slices in a high ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (convection).
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil over low heat in a frying pan. Steam the garlic and the shallots for a few minutes until soft. Then add the tomatoes, thyme and the lentils. Season with salt and pepper and give the lentil mixture over the potato slices.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a nonstick pan. Fry the eggplant until light brown and season with salt. Then place the fried eggplant slices over the lentil mixture.
- Whisk the eggs with the cream and pour over the casserole. Then crumble the feta cheese over the casserole and cook on the grill in the lower third of the oven for 45 minutes.
- 120 g beluga lentils
- 200 g potatoes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- a few sprigs of thyme (leaves coarsely chopped)
- 1 eggplant (cut into 5 mm thick slices)
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml cream
- 50 g feta cheese
- salt | pepper
Thank you VENISIS GmbH for the VEGGIE CUBES. Nevertheless my opinion is my own.
* These are Amazon affiliate links, which means that if you click on the links, I’ll receive a small provision.