Two who had really some difficulties at the beginning of their relationship, are the white cabbage and me. For several weeks, cabbage is a regular guest in our local organic veggie box. At first I hardly had any idea what to do with it so that I braised it in a very traditional way. The result was ok which meant that I ate my portion, but I prefered to freeze the remains because I just did not feel like having more cabbage the other day. And some portions are still waiting for me in the freezer.
As a wonderful mediator finally turned out to be the German cooking magazine köstlich vegetarisch. Thanks to their recipe ideas they managed it to mediate between the cabbage and me. The result: These days I am even looking forward to the next white cabbage in our veggie box. Mostly I use one half of it for a cabbage-peppers-dish and the other half for preparing it in the wok. And also in the wok I mix the white cabbage with carrots and other vegetables from my pantry. Here I went also further away from the original recipe over time and love it to experiment a little bit.
For example, I like to add rice noodles. These I prepare separately according to the package directions. Then for the last few minutes I add them to the wok, where they are already expected by the fried vegetables and eggs. For the taste I just add a honey and soy sauce mixture and garnish everything with roasted cashew nuts. And this is the way I definitely like white cabbage.
Rice Noodles with Carrots and White Cabbage from the Wok
- 170 g vermicelli glass noodles made from rice flour
- 3 tbsp oil
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 50 g onions finely diced
- 200 g white cabbage quartered, stem removed and cut into 2 mm wide strips
- 200 g carrots cut into approximately 3 mm wide and 5 cm long strips
- 1 leek cut into approximately 5 mm wide rings
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp honey
- 4-5 tbsp soy sauce
- Pour over the glass noodles boiling water and let them stand for 10 minutes. Then drain the noodles and set aside.
- Heat in a large pan or wok 1 tbsp oil. Slightly fry the cashew nuts while stirring, take them out and let cool.
- Then add and heat the remaining oil. Sauté the garlic and the onions for about 2 minutes. Whisk the eggs and add them with the vegetables and fry for about 4 minutes while stirring over high heat. Intermix the honey and soy sauce, add the noodles and fry everything about another 5 minutes and season with salt. For serving sprinkle with the cashews.