And it is already time again, to give some Thoughts about... Maybe also inspired by the current waves of flu and cold which happen almost everywhere these days, I have chosen sage this time. A herb which cannot only be used for cooking but also for making tea which has a balmy influence. So here are my 10 Thoughts about.. Sage and a little recipe for making fresh sage tea.
- Sage (salvia) is one of the oldest medicinal herbs 1).
- In the species salvia about 800 to 1100 plants can be differed 2).
- Depending on origin and location the content and composition of the flavoured essential oils of each salvia sort can be very different 3).
- The healing power of sage is also indicated by the name salvia which is derived from salvare, the latin word for healing 2).
- A question which was already asked by the old Romans, is “Cur moriatur homo, cui salva crescit in horis?” – “Why dies the human when salvia grows in his garden?” (Arrowsmith 2007, S. 486) 3).
- Other German names for salvia are die schmale Sofie or das Zahnblatt. In the past, sage even was called the feminine way “die Salbei” 3, 4).
- In ancient Egypt, sage was used as a remedy agains infertility. In antiquity non-medical practitioners applied this aromatic smelling herb against digestive problems and toothache 4).
- Common Sage (Salvia officinalis) can relieve hoarseness and sore throat, soothe inflamed gums and help against excessive sweating 2, 4, 5).
- But sage is also one of the plants that you should not take for a long period at a high dose. If there is an overdosage (more than 15 g sage leaves per day) the contained thujone is toxic 5).
- Fresh sage leaves can be stored in a freezer bag in the refrigerator for several days. The dried sage leaves should be sealed and kept cool and dark 3).
- 1) http://www.wortbedeutung.info/Salbei/ (letzter Besuch: 03.03.2013)
- 2) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbei (letzter Besuch: 03.03.2013)
- 3) http://lexikon.huettenhilfe.de/kraeuter/salbei.html (letzter Besuch: 04.03.2013)
- 4) http://www.apotheken-umschau.de/heilpflanzen/salbei (letzter Besuch: 04.03.2013)
- 5) http://www.naturheilpraxis-kurznhof.de/aktuelles_2008-01-21_heilpflanze-januar_echter-salbei-salvia-officinalis.htm (letzter Besuch: 04.03.2013)